Anal gland problems include abscess, blocked anal gland, impaction, and vasculitis.
Some of the factors that may play a role in the development of these problems are constipation or infrequent bowel movement, excessive glandular secretions, and poor nutrition.
If your pup constantly licks her bottom, which appears to be irritated, another possibility is sensitivity or food allergy.
What you can do! Improve the regularity of stools and prevent both loose stool and constipation by feeding her a medium to a high-fiber diet.
Especially useful are those nutrients that support healthy skin like B complex, zinc, unsaturated vegetable oil, and vitamin A. Here are our selections of the best dog food for anal gland issues.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Fiber Dry Dog Food is our top pick for treating anal gland issues in dogs. This diet is packed with several fiber-rich ingredients to help boost digestion health. It is also rich in vitamin A, zinc, ascorbic acid, and vitamin E.
- The Best Dog Food for Anal Gland Issues
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Fiber Diet Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food
- Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Meadow Feast Dry Dog Food
- American Journey Grain-Free Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Merrick Grain-Free Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
- Canidae Grain-Free Pure Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
- Things to Consider When Looking for Dog Food for Anal Gland Issues
- Final Thoughts
The Best Dog Food for Anal Gland Issues
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Fiber Diet Dry Dog Food
This veterinary exclusive diet is specifically formulated to help dogs with short or long-term digestive sensitivities and food allergies.
- Highly digestible proteins
- A superior blend of fiber
- Powerful antioxidants
- Omega 3 fatty acids
This diet contains highly digestible proteins, which means they are easily absorbed into the body without triggering any immune reactions.
The formula is packed with high-quality fiber that does a good job of speeding up stool release. This ensures your pup is not exposed to any carcinogens she might have consumed. Therefore, preventing anal gland issues, colon cancer, constipation, and diarrhea.
Prebiotics; on the other hand, feed good bacteria in your pup’s digestive system. This helps to boost nutrient absorption and immune health.
- Proteins are highly digestible and easily absorbed
- Packed with fiber to help speed up stool release
- Prebiotics improve nutrient absorption and immune health
- Omega 3 fatty acids help improve kidney function
- Optimal levels of DHA and EPA decrease inflammation
- The food may be a little expensive for some dog parents
- Picky eaters may refuse the kibble
This nutrition will support digestive health, stool quality, GI transit, and kidney function. But it is a little bit pricy.
Overall Rating: 4.8
Hill’s Prescription Diet w/d Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food
Did you know that weight gain can cause your pup to experience anal sac problems because her anal sacs don’t empty properly? You can relieve the condition with the w/d diet from Hill’s Prescription.
- Good quality protein
- Therapeutic L-carnitine
- Clinically proven antioxidants
- Reduced sodium and magnesium
- Low in fat and calories
The first ingredient in this recipe is whole grain wheat, which is great because it supplies your pup with protein, antioxidants, fats, and carbohydrates. All these nutrients support a healthy immune system and skin.
The diet is moderately high in fiber, providing your pup with a feeling of fullness. The fiber helps fill the stool for easy elimination. The high fiber content also minimizes and stabilizes blood glucose levels.
The nutrition is uniquely designed to boost fat metabolism and maintain lean muscle mass. We appreciate the high levels of L-carnitine in the recipe because it does a good job of burning fat and preventing anal sac problems.
Another good thing about this diet is the S+OXSHIELD seal, which supports a healthy urinary environment by reducing the risk of calcium oxalate crystals.
- Does a great job of metabolizing fat and maintaining lean muscle
- The high fiber content helps improve stool quality
- Helps minimize and stabilize blood glucose levels
- The S+OXSHIELD seal supports a healthy urinary system
- Clinically proven antioxidants improve immune function
- It is possible to get a bag with altered ingredients
- The price tag may be high for some dog parents
This diet contains all the nutrients your dog needs to manage and prevent weight gain and anal gland issues. But the price is a little bit high.
Overall Rating: 4.7
Earthborn Holistic Grain-Free Meadow Feast Dry Dog Food
This premium quality diet is designed to offer unique nutrition for pups with a sensitive stomach and digestive system.
- Fewer high-quality proteins
- High levels of L-carnitine
- Packed with natural fibers
- Chelated minerals
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
This good-tasting nutrition is formulated without potato, gluten, or grain, which means it is grain-free and highly digestible.
Premium lamb meal is the first ingredient, which is great because it supplies your pup with high-quality proteins to help her develop as well as maintain energy.
Carefully selected fruits and vegetables like cranberries, spinach, carrots, peas, blueberries, and apples help your pup meet her daily nutritional requirements.
The diet has high levels of L-carnitine. This important nutrient helps your dog convert body fat into energy and muscle. The superior fat burning helps prevent anal sac issues.
It has balanced levels of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that play an important role in the development of the lipid barrier that helps protect the skin and coat of your dog.
- No potato, gluten, or grain in the diet
- High-quality proteins provide energy and boost recovery
- A great diet for burning fat and preventing anal sac issues
- Nutrients are highly digestible and easily absorbed
- The kibbles are palatable and appetizing
- The smell may not please some dogs and dog parents
- Possible quality issues with some bags of food
The unique processing technologies and premium quality ingredients provide your dog with all the important nutrients she needs to manage and prevent anal sac issues.
Overall Rating: 4.7
American Journey Grain-Free Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe
With this incredible diet, your four-legged buddy can get an abundance of the wholesome ingredients she loves in a convenient bag.
- High-quality proteins
- Glucosamine and chondroitin
- Omega fatty acids
- Vitamin E, selenium, and zinc
The first ingredient in this amazing grain-free dog food is deboned chicken, which is a great protein source for active dogs that are prone to anal gland problems.
Deboned chicken also supplies your pup with omega 6 fatty acids, which support cell membrane structure and immune function.
We appreciate the presence of peas in the diet because they provide a quality dose of dietary fiber along with important minerals and vitamins.
Dietary fiber is an excellent resource for your pooch’s digestive system. It helps eliminate bad bacteria, support colon recovery from injury, and prevent anal gland problems.
The food is also enriched with chickpeas, a highly digestible carbohydrate that is rich in protein and dietary fiber. It also has blueberries that are loaded with fiber, vitamin E, and vitamin C to help boost urinary tract health.
Another great source of omega 6 fatty acids is chicken fat, which supports skin and coat health and makes the food smell nice.
- Grain-free recipe is suitable for sensitive dogs
- High-quality dietary fiber improves digestion and stool quality
- Omega fatty acids support skin and coat health
- The proteins are highly palatable and digestible
- Gluten-free and low-allergen carbs help prevent anal gland issues
- The recipe may not be a favorite choice for picky eaters
- May not be a great option for overweight pups
Overall, this amazing recipe doesn’t contain artificial preservatives or colors, but it only features powerful nutrients and dietary fiber.
Overall Rating: 4.7
Merrick Grain-Free Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
This amazing grain-free diet is handcrafted in small batches with nutritious nutrient-rich ingredients that are perfect for managing and preventing anal gland issues.
- Premium quality protein
- Healthy fats
- High-quality fiber
- Powerful vitamins and antioxidants
- Glucosamine and chondroitin
The main protein source (deboned beef) makes up fifty-five percent of the recipe and the other forty-five percent comes from locally sourced fruits and vegetables.
Deboned beef is an excellent source of high-quality proteins that are highly digestible and easily absorbed. These proteins provide your pup with superior energy levels and help her maintain healthy muscle tissue.
The food is packed with peas, which are rich in high protein legumes and dietary fiber. The dietary fiber is exactly what your pup needs to improve her digestion, stool quality, and avoid anal gland problems.
The nutrition is also packed with blueberries, which are loaded with fiber, healthy carbs, vitamin E, vitamin C, and powerful antioxidants to support a healthy digestive tract and immune system.
You will also love to know that the diet doesn’t contain artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. So, this diet is just perfect for your sensitive pooch.
- Dietary fiber improves digestion health and stool quality
- Powerful antioxidants help maintain a healthy immune system
- Premium quality proteins are highly digestible
- Designed to boost joint health and mobility
- The diet is free of artificial preservative, flavors, and colors
- The brand’s customer support may not be very helpful at times
- Picky eaters may turn away their noses
Overall, this is a great diet for dogs that are prone to anal gland issues thanks to its high-quality proteins, dietary fiber, vitamins, and powerful antioxidants.
Overall Rating: 4.6
Canidae Grain-Free Pure Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
Help your pup avoid anal gland issues with this simple recipe diet. It contains real meat and pure whole foods that are super friendly to your dog’s digestive tract.
- High-quality protein
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
- Powerful vitamins
This high-quality dog food is made with nine simple ingredients like chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, sun-cured alfalfa, potatoes, garbanzo beans, peas, sweet potatoes, and turkey. The lip-smacking kibbles are full of natural flavor that your pup will love.
The first two ingredients are chicken and chicken meal. These two are excellent sources of highly digestible proteins without excess calories. Another great source of proteins included in the diet is turkey meal (it is low in calories).
If your pup is sensitive, you have no reason to worry because this nutrition is free of soy, wheat, corn, hormones, antibiotics, grains, or gluten. Instead, it is packed with peas, which are remarkable sources of dietary fiber. The fiber helps improve stool quality and prevent anal gland issues.
Canidae included garbanzo beans in the recipe to support immune and eye health and regulate blood sugar. The beans are also full of fiber to help with digestion and elimination.
Another good source of carbs is sweet potatoes. They are low in fats and full of vitamins and minerals.
- Contains real meat and pure whole foods
- The grain-free diet is suitable for sensitive stomach
- Probiotics support a healthy digestive tract and elimination
- Full of antioxidants for a healthy immune system
- High in dietary fiber to improve digestion health and stool quality
- Some bags may come with a different recipe
- The price is a little bit high
You will be surprised by your picky eater when she munches the kibbles. Not to mention that the diet is free of gluten, soy, grains, wheat, antibiotics, corn, or hormones.
Overall Rating: 4.5
Things to Consider When Looking for Dog Food for Anal Gland Issues
Here are the most important considerations you have to make when searching for suitable dog food for anal gland issues.
High Fiber Content
One of the best solutions for dogs with anal gland issues is a high fiber diet. This type of diet can help get the digestive tract back on track and help your pup have more regular bowel movements.
Most fiber sources provide protein, vitamins, and minerals. Always consider fiber sources that are rich in vitamin C because it helps keep the skin of your dog healthy.
Probiotics and prebiotics
Probiotics are great for treating and preventing diarrhea and anal gland problems. Prebiotics work together with probiotics to help support good digestion and a healthy digestive tract.
Probiotics are the good bacteria that keep your dog’s gut functioning properly, while prebiotics feeds the good bacteria to help them keep the digestive tract healthy.
The winner of this roundup is Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal High Fiber Dry Dog Food. This diet is best suited for handling common sensitivities that your dog is experiencing.
It is designed for the nutritional management of dogs with anal gland problems or those who are susceptible to such issues.
This diet has a high fiber content, which serves as a delicious and nutritious meal. The fiber increases the size and weight of your pup’s stool. A bulky stool is much easier for your dog to pass.
The high-quality prebiotics and highly digestible proteins support healthy digestion and optimal stool quality.