The Belgian Malinois is a medium-sized dog breed that kind of looks like the German Shepherd although a bit smaller. It usually grows from 22 to 26 inches and weighs 40 to 80 lbs.
They are best known for being energetic, workaholic, protective, people-oriented, and quite intelligent, hence, making them work dogs.
However, dogs of this breed can also suffer from hip and elbow dysplasia, cataracts, and even obesity, like with most dogs, so they should be fed with the right kind of diet. This is why you may be looking for the best dog food for Belgian Malinois to keep them satisfied and healthy all the way.
- 5 Best dog food for Belgian Malinois
- Things to Consider
- How do I choose the best dog food for Belgian Malinois?
- Dry vs. wet food: which is better for a Belgian Malinois?
- How much should I feed my Belgian Malinois?
- Aside from the right food, how can I keep my Belgian Malinois healthy?
- How can I change my Belgian Malinois’ diet?
- What’s the behavior and temperament of the Belgian Malinois?
5 Best dog food for Belgian Malinois
Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food
This dog food is in dry kibble form so it can be easy for most work dogs like the Belgian Malinois to eat up. It is made with real chicken and pork, which can be a good source of protein for their everyday activities.
Dogs who weigh 50 lbs. or above can benefit the most with this natural dog food.
It is made without artificial colors, preservatives, by-products, or other fillers like corn or wheat so it might be ideal for dogs who are sensitive to such ingredients. The bag comes in two sizes: 15 lbs. and 30 lbs., depending on your needs.
It also has ingredients that may help with your dog’s coat health. While the label says it’s for larger dogs, it can be served for medium-sized breeds like the Belgian Malinois in smaller portions.
Instinct Raw Boost Natural Dry Dog Food
As a combination of protein kibble and freeze-dried raw dog food, this one is made with a chicken recipe in which chicken (cage-free) is the first ingredient.
The important thing to consider with this dog food is that it has glucosamine & chondroitin that can help with their joint health.
It is also made with probiotics and omegas, which can help with their digestive health as well as their shiny coat and skin health. The bag comes in 4 lbs. or 10 lbs. depending on how much your dog needs.
While the label says it’s for smaller dogs, it can be served for medium-sized breeds like the Belgian Malinois in larger portions.
ORIJEN Dry Dog Food
Yet another dry dog food, this one is a combination of meat and veggies, which can be ideal for dogs who don’t always want an all-meat diet or as recommended by their vet.
Coming two sizes (13 and 25 lbs.), this bag of dog food contains no tapioca or grains which can be unnecessary fillers to your dog’s diet.
It can be suitable for puppies because of its protein and carbohydrate content. Other than chicken, it also contains cage-free eggs, turkey, herring, mackerel, and flounder, all of which are cruelty-free and sustainably harvested from nature. In fact, its veggie ingredients come from Kentucky farms and orchards.
Purina Beneful Originals Adult Dry Dog Food
If you like Purina products, this one can be a good choice as well, since it is easily found in the market. Its number one ingredient is farm-raised beef in a 40-lb. bag of dry dog food.
Added to the list of ingredients is a bunch of veggies such as spinach, carrots, and peas, which can benefit their immune system, coat health, and eyesight due to their rich antioxidants.
A total of 24 grams of protein found in each cup, so it may good for working dogs such as the Belgian Malinois breed. There’s also a bit of avocado and tomatoes which can help with protein and their coat health as well.
WholeHearted Grain Free All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
This organic dog food is made with a duck and lentil recipe, so it can be an alternative for dogs who are sick of having chicken dinner.
It comes with omega-3 fatty acids which can be good for their overall skin and coat health, while the probiotics can help with your dog’s digestive system.
It contains no grain, such as wheat, corn, or soy, so it may be good for dogs with sensitive stomachs. There are different sizes of bags to choose from and there are also other dog food ingredients to choose other than duck, such as salmon, lamb, chicken, and beef.
Things to Consider
When you are choosing the best dog food for Belgian Malinois, you may want to know about the following first:
How do I choose the best dog food for Belgian Malinois?
To choose an ideal dog food for Belgian Malinois, you may want to look for the following:
- Good protein content. Having at least 38% of the protein in their daily diet can be good for dogs like the Belgian Malinois due to their nature of being work dogs or sporty dogs.
- Vitamins and minerals. Like dogs, they also need all the nutrients that they can get to keep their immune system, digestive system, and coat healthy overall.
- Probiotics and fiber. These two are good for the tummy of your dog so it can be ideal to look for dog food with such ingredients.
- Omega fatty acids. These usually come from foods with fish because of their oil and fat content. These are healthy fats that can be beneficial to your dog’s coat.
- Veggies and fruits. It’s not just meat that dogs can eat: since they have been domesticated, they can also eat other food types like fruits and veggies to help with their immune system.
- No fillers. Consider a dog food that has no cheap fillers and additives, such as wheat, corn, or soy, which can irritate their digestive system.
- No preservatives. This may be a self-explanatory must-have for healthy dog food but it pays to keep your dog’s food free from such unnecessary preservatives that may be a cause of high blood sugar levels or obesity in the long run.
- Meets international standards. Good dog food to have is one that has international recognition as a brand and may even meet the requirements of the AAFCO or any other pet organization in your locality.
- Close to a raw diet. As much as possible, if you can find a dry dog food that still has the raw ingredients, this can be a good pick for your little one.
Dry vs. wet food: which is better for a Belgian Malinois?
Generally speaking, wet food is more applicable for this breed. This is because they can benefit more for their dental health if they chew on dry food. Wet food is also okay if they prefer such, but keep it to a minimum or as an add-on to your dog’s dry food (as a topper).
How much should I feed my Belgian Malinois?
This dog breed can be fed at about 2 to 3 cups a day of any dry dog food that your pet likes. It should be given in 2 meals as much as possible. However, the daily intake can depend on the following factors:
- How big is your dog? While the size of the Belgian Malinois is usually standard medium-sized, they can still vary depending on their diet and some breeding specifics, which can affect their diet capacity.
- How old is your dog? Puppies need to be fed with more protein while adults need to be fed with moderate amounts of protein depending on their active lifestyle. Seniors may need less of the protein since they don’t work out as much.
- How often does my dog work out? If your dog often goes outside to play or is a sporty dog or even a dog who competes in contests, you may want to feed him better quality food that can help with his or her protein content.
- Is your dog suffering from any health problem? The Belgian Malinois can be prone to cataracts and hip dysplasia, as well as obesity. If your dog has any of these or other health problems, you may want to feed them with a specific diet, such as glucosamine-filled foods for hip problems.
Aside from the right food, how can I keep my Belgian Malinois healthy?
If you do the following along with feeding your dog the right food, they may live a healthier life:
- At least 20 minutes of physical activity a day, for about 3 to 4 times
- A lot of TLC (tender, love, and care)
- Get them socialized as early as possible
- Enough space for them to play around (such as a backyard)
- Training and discipline for their behavior
How can I change my Belgian Malinois’ diet?
You have to work slowly and not overnight. Dogs, like people and babies, tend to have sensitive stomachs so you should introduce new food to them in gradual amounts before you give them the full meal. You should also be wary of foods that may cause them allergies.
To deal with such allergies, you shouldn’t look for a dog food that has fillers such as corn, beef, or rice. Consult your vet if you are unsure what makes your dog so allergic or what makes his or her tummy upset. Dehydration is a problem associated with a bad stomach so feeding them with the right food can be crucial.
What’s the behavior and temperament of the Belgian Malinois?
In general, this dog breed is quite the working dog. He or she needs to be socialized as early as possible to be a positive dog with a good personality. Puppies can benefit from having DHA-rich foods such as those from fish that can help with their brain development.
If you have an energetic dog, then you should feed them more calories and protein to suffice their physical activities.
To conclude, our best dog food for Belgian Malinois would be the Eagle Pack Natural Dry Dog Food due to its chicken and pork ingredients, which can be beneficial to your dog’s protein needs, and it also has ingredients that can help with your dog’s coat health. It is free from preservatives as well as unnecessary grains and fillers so it can be good for your dog’s diet overall.