If you have a dog at home, chances are you’ve probably seen him having an ear infection. If you haven’t yet, well, dogs are prone to this, and there are various reasons why this occurs.
Regardless of the reasons why a dog has an ear infection, it’s important that we, as owners, find ways to cure the infection.
If you’re a dog owner and would like to know more about ear infections, below is a guide that would explain what ear infections are and how to deal with them and a list of the best dog foods that you can buy for your pet to help lessen the chances of having one:
|1. Pinnacle Holistic Dog Food||Grain-free, Full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals||A+||View on Amazon|
|2. Royal Canin HP Hypoallergenic Dog Food||light ingredients to aid digestion, Hypoallergenic, omega-3 fatty acids||A++||View on Amazon|
|3. Great Life Limited Ingredient Dog Food||Grain-free, Hypoallergenic, Healthy ingredients||A||View on Amazon|
|4. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredients Diets||Made In Usa, Easily Digestible, Balanced Nutrition||A++||View on Amazon|
|5. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Grain Free Dog Food||Made in USA, Grain-free, nutrients from vegetables and fruits||A||View on Amazon|
- Best Dog Food for Ear Infection
- Ear Infection in Dogs
- What are the Symptoms of an Ear Infection?
- What Causes It?
- How to Treat Ear Infection in Dogs?
- Natural Remedies for Dog Ear Infection
- FAQ Section
- Final thoughts
Best Dog Food for Ear Infection
Now that you’re aware of what an ear infection in dogs is and how to treat it, it’s best if you’re going to back up this up with a list of the best dog food for ear infections so that your dog is not only healthy but free from infections as well:
1. Pinnacle Holistic Dog Food
Considered to be one of the most well-loved dog foods in the market today, this brand is grain-free. Also, it uses light sources of protein like duck and trout, making it an ideal food for dogs who have very sensitive digestive systems.
It also has sweet potatoes, quinoa, and garbanzo beans in it, so it’s an amazing source of antioxidants and energy. In addition, for added nutrition, it also has omega-3 fatty acids in it.
Lastly, if your dog is deficient in nutrients, this dog food is full of vitamins and minerals. This includes vitamin C and E, vitamin B1, B12, and D3, folic acid, riboflavin, zinc, bromelain, and manganese.
- Grain-free, making it excellent for digestion.
- Full of antioxidants, thus boosting energy and immunity.
- Lot of vitamins and minerals.
- It goes bad right away.
- The smell and taste are not for all dogs; picky eaters will not like this.
2. Royal Canin HP Hypoallergenic Dog Food
This is one of the most trusted brands when it comes to hypoallergenic dog food. Because its ingredients are made from light and quality components, it won’t upset your dog’s digestive system. Instead, this would boost his digestive flora.
While too many grains are not recommended for a dog’s diet, because it’s using rice as its carbohydrate source, it’s easier to digest, so it’s not so harsh on the stomach.
This also has omega-3 fatty acids. So, if you want your dog to have healthier and shinier hair, including this in his diet is highly suggested.
- Made from quality and light ingredients to aid digestion.
- Hypoallergenic, making it ideal for sensitive dogs.
- Contains omega-3 fatty acids that give your dog healthier and shinier hair.
- It’s quite expensive.
- The bag is too small.
3. Great Life Limited Ingredient Dog Food
This is another grain-free dog food that’s hypoallergenic. It’s a great source of protein and other healthy nutrients as its main ingredients are bok choy, buffalo, tapioca, yam, and zucchini, making it one of the healthiest dog foods you can buy in the market at the moment.
It also contains additional ingredients like blueberries and frozen and dried buffalo liver, kale sprouts, and red clover sprouts. Lastly, it has probiotics as well, so this aids in your dog’s digestions.
However, as this contains salmon oil, if your dog is allergic to this, this will not be ideal. So, always check the ingredient list or have your dog diagnosed for any allergies first.
- Hypoallergenic, but salmon oil may cause reactions to those dogs with fish allergies.
- Healthy ingredients and probiotics, thus boosting digestion.
- It will smell rancid due to the fish oil when not stored properly.
- Manufacturers may change their ingredients.
4. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredients Diets
If you prefer dry dog foods, then this is the best one for you when you want to lessen ear infections in your dogs.
Because it has limited ingredients that are of high quality, dogs with sensitive digestive tracks and allergies will benefit from this.
This does not have additives, wheat, and gluten in it. Plus, its primary source of protein, which is lamb, is only mixed with premium carbohydrates, so it’s easily digestible.
It also contains probiotics and omega-3 fatty acids so that your dog will not only easily digest this food, but he will also have a beautiful and healthy coat.
Lastly, if you want selection, this brand also produces a variety of mixes; it also provides a canned version, so you can switch from time to time.
- Made from limited yet quality ingredients, making it ideal for dogs with allergies and sensitive digestive tracks.
- Does not have additives, wheat, and gluten.
- Probiotics and omega-3 fatty acids to boost digestion.
- As it has a lot of varieties, some may cause allergies to dogs.
- It does not appeal to picky eaters.
5. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Grain Free Dog Food
The last one on our list is this brand. This is an excellent dog food to lessen yeast, which can cause ear infections. It’s one of the most protein-rich dog foods in the market today, with only little starch and no grain in it at all.
Its protein is mostly taken from cage-free turkey, wherein its meat is dehydrated. In this way, the nutrients are locked in. Plus, it’s much more digestible.
Also, it has added nutrients as it’s packed with lots of vegetables and fruits. This includes cranberries, spinach, and carrots, which are amazing sources of antioxidants and omega.
- It’s made from cage-free turkey that’s dehydrated to lock in nutrients and make digestion easier.
- It’s packed with nutrients from vegetables and fruits.
- Its taste may not be for all dogs; picky eaters will not like this.
- It expires right away.
Ear Infection in Dogs
If you notice that your dog keeps on whining and scratching his ears, there’s a high chance that he has an ear infection, especially when you notice that his ears start becoming red and swollen. While this may look alarming, this is a common infection among dogs and can be treated right away.
When it comes to ear infection in dogs, there are three types to this – internal, media, and otitis externa. They are the same in a sense that all three are deemed as infections; the only difference is the ear part where these infections take place.
Luckily, when taken care of immediately, the symptoms go away quickly.
What are the Symptoms of an Ear Infection?
These are the most common symptoms of ear infection in dogs:
- Dark and smelly discharge
- Head shaking
- Pawing on the affected area
- Scaly skin
What Causes It?
As stated above, there are a lot of reasons why this occurs. These are some of the most common causes:
- Autoimmune disease
- Drug reaction
- Endocrine disorders
- Excessive cleaning
- Foreign bodies
- Moisture (can cause yeast and bacteria)
- Thyroid disorders
- Wax buildup
If you think your dog has an ear infection, go to your vet right away so that he can determine the cause of the infection.
How to Treat Ear Infection in Dogs?
Treatment should be administered first by your vet. In most cases, your vet will clean the infected area.
He will then provide antibiotics or medication that can be applied topically. Pain relievers or steroids may also be given to help ease the inflammation.
Once given instructions, you can continue with the treatment. Only on rare or severe occasions is surgery needed here.
If you want to help your dog not get any more ear infections in the future, you can also take note of his diet. Nutrition plays an important role in keeping a dog healthy. Thus, when choosing their food, take note of these factors:
- Quality Ingredients – only buy those with quality ingredients. The higher the quality, the lesser the chance of your dog having allergic reactions. Note that allergy can cause ear infections, so only purchase those highly reviewed dog foods in the market or take note of the brands provided below.
- Grain-Free Content – Again, to prevent allergies from happening, a grain-free diet is much more ideal for your dog.
- Hypoallergenic Ingredients – Now, this is one of the most important factors to take note of. Only purchase products with hypoallergenic ingredients. In this way, you’re sure that your dog is safe from any allergic reactions.
- Additive-Free Ingredients – Lastly, take note of the additives. The more artificial additives the food has, the greater the chance of your dog getting allergic reactions, especially when he is sensitive.
Natural Remedies for Dog Ear Infection
If you want a natural approach when treating your dog, here are some tips for you:
Apple Cider Vinegar
The acetic content from the apple cider vinegar can remove any dirt and scale from the ears. It can even kill bacteria and yeast.
However, don’t apply apple cider when your dog’s ear is red and swollen as this can be really painful. You can apply apple cider when the infected area is dried up; you can use a cotton ball soaked in the vinegar.
Mullein and Calendula
The Mullein and Calendula plant has a lot of antibacterial and antifungal properties, so they’re effective in helping cure an ear infection.
Just add the leaves separately in a jar with olive oil and garlic. Let the Mullein sit for 2-3 weeks and the Calendula for 3-4 days. Strain the mixtures once they’re ready and apply them on the infected ear by soaking a cotton ball.
Oregano also has antibacterial properties. You can apply this directly on the infected ear. However, make sure that it’s diluted as it can cause more irritation if not.
Coconut oil has a lot of antifungal properties. You can prepare this by simmering 2 tablespoons of fresh coconut oil on a pan on low heat.
You can add garlic as well to add an extra kick. Apply the oil on the infected ear if it’s not too hot anymore. You can use a cotton ball for this.
Can diet be a cause of ear infection?
Yes, diet can possibly cause an ear infection. The highly processed food that contains a lot of preservatives and grain-based food that has a lot of rice, wheat, soy, and spelled may lead to allergic reactions and sensitivities to dogs.
Will drugs lead to ear infections?
Some medication can lead to dysbiosis or an unhealthy and imbalanced gut. These medications include anti-inflammatories, steroids, tick, and flea treatment, deworming drugs, antibiotic, and the like. This can lead to infections, including the ear.
I over vaccinated my dog; can this affect his ear?
In a way, yes, this can affect your dog’s ears if he will get an infection due to allergies. Over-vaccination can affect the immune system, thus causing autoimmune diseases to occur that may lead to allergies.
What diet should I follow to prevent ear infections?
While diet plays a crucial role in a dog’s health, it’s no guarantee that it will totally prevent an ear infection. However, it can drastically help.
A raw diet will be ideal for this. This is because it can lessen the carbohydrates in your dog’s body, thus healing a leaky gut.
Read more: Best Dog Food for Pancreatitis
These are some of the best dog foods that help with ear infections in dogs. While they are effective in aiding your dog’s digestion and immunity in general, do note that each dog is unique. So, if you think that the dog foods mentioned above are not compatible with your dog, don’t hesitate to change brands.
Trial and error are needed when picking the ideal brand for your dog, so it’s best if you’re going to buy a small bag first. Also, you can always ask for your vet’s recommendations.
Your dog’s diet, while it’s not necessarily the sole reason why ear infections happen, is crucial in keeping them healthy and free from infections and allergies, so always give them the best. Start with the suggested brands above, and your dog will surely benefit from them. Just switch brands if they don’t work.